Thursday, November 1, 2012

Accepted or Not?

This week my group decided to turn our focus to albums of rather intriguing styles of music. Not just any music but music that has still been widely viewed as unacceptable and negative by a mainstream audience. What music do you ask? How about the genre of heavy metal. We are focusing our attention on Sky Eats Airplane- a heavy metal band that classifies themselves as an electronica, hardcore and metal mixture.
 Im focusing on why this music seems to be personally more unacceptable than acceptable. While listening to a few of their songs on youtube the screams and loud banging on the drums were turning me away from a good experience. Personally I am not a fan of music like this but I also give it a chance.
 I feel like when it comes to heavy metal you either like it or not. I never found an interest into this music because the very fast paced beat seems off to me and I can't understand the lyrics. While watching the bands music video named Numbers I was a little confused about what was going on. I had a very negative look to lyrics (when I could understand them) and the quick changing transitions within the music video. To me music is medicine for the soul. When I listen to a genre like this it seems like it has the total opposite effect. Like Chrissy pointed out in her post, this genre hasn't been apart of the mainstream. Maybe if it were more mainstream and appealed to a larger fan base, mine along with others perceptions may change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment